Monday, August 6, 2012

Everyday Role Models


Our Grandson, Drew, is very fortunate to have so many positive role models in his life.  One of them is his grandfather. It has been fascinating and heartwarming to see how they have formed a bond over the years that I know will never end. Most days are very "ordinary" and yet the time my husband spends with Drew will be "extraordinary" for both of them forever.

 They spend a lot of “guy time” together and I have even heard Drew refer to his Haba’s (grandfather) office and garage as “the man cave”.  I am not banned from these "man caves" but I only go to these areas when they need cleaning (and they always need cleaning). I have to admit that I find myself voluntarily staying out of these places most of the time. 

I find it amusing and sweet that Drew will even dress according to the "dress code of the day" set by Haba. If Haba wears shorts and an old tee shirt, Drew wears shorts and an old tee shirt. If Haba wears jeans with holes in them and sneakers, Drew will wear jeans (must have holes in them!) and sneakers.

On Saturday, they went to a car swap meet where they walked for hours around a dusty field checking out old car parts, anything related to cars and a wide variety of “toys for boys”. 

After they came home from the swap meet, they repaired our deck under “Haba’s tree”. Some of the boards had rotted out and needed to be replaced. This is a favorite hangout for them where they sit and watch deer or cranes in the fields, cool off after working under the hot sun on a project, eat a meal on a balmy summer evening or roast marshmallows in the outdoor fireplace. 

Lessons on using the cordless drill



Tearing up the rotting boards




Sunday was a little more work on the greenhouse where Drew got a little distracted and ended up busy putting together a bench in the greenhouse for us to sit on. The greenhouse is one of our many “works in progress” that we are still hoping to complete by this fall. We are planning on an aquaponics greenhouse which Drew has taken a great interest in. He tells Haba about how he thinks we should buy a golf cart so he can take people on tours. You would think we have hundreds of acres instead of just three acres!

Putting in the grow beds


Drew's bench

 At dinner, Haba tells Drew that he wants to see him eat everything on his plate since he worked hard today and needs to eat to replenish his energy. Yes, he did eat everything on his plate…including the green beans. 

Then, a little time spent sitting under Haba’s tree on the newly repaired deck with a little dose of goofiness.

Goofy Boys


Goofy Grandson

There’s popcorn, shaved ice and a movie that gives me a little quiet time to go through some paperwork in my office. Some of the shaved ice spilled on the couch which I latter learned was cleaned up very quickly and quietly by Haba and Drew. I could tell when the movie was over from the noisy din coming from the other end of our home when the two guys had a little “rough housing” before heading off to bed. 

Weekends definitely go by too fast! Thank goodness memories last a lot longer.

Mai
Grandma’sBriefs.com

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your projects and look forward to seeing photos of the finished greenhouse. I'd definitely pay Drew a fare to give me a tour of the plantation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dale! Drew will give you a free tour! I'm sure he will even let you chase some chickens around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amara and I would love to take that tour, too! I love the view out of the greenhouse looking at all those trees! I love Drew's Farm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! We are people that always seem to "be a work in progress"! I don't know when we will have this completed but we certainly will let you know when Drew starts his tours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Letting Drew participate in those ongoing projects is a priceless experience for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drew will have such lovely memories of his time with Haba. Such a pleasure to read of their "guy" relationship, as I hope to see such things between my husband and my grandsons as they get a wee bit older and, hopefully, visit a wee bit more often. Beautiful place you have there for Drew and Haba to tinker about.

    Thank you for sharing this on the GRAND Social!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true - your sweet family memories will be a blessing for decades to come. And what great lessons you are both sharing with your grandchild. Talk about leaving a legacy of love! Thanks for a fun visit and the great photos!

    ReplyDelete