Sunday, August 5, 2012

And a Little more on Teaching Compassion

I read an excellent article written by Susan Adcox titled "Volunteering for Kids: How Grandparents Can Help". She writes about how volunteering needs to be developed early, and how volunteering can be a wonderful opportunity for both grandparents and grandchildren. There is a section that discusses how to find and select a volunteer activity that is age appropriate also.

Not all volunteer opportunities need to be a long term commitment. Susan mentions picking up litter on a trail or a park as one of the ideas for a volunteer opportunity. I remember taking along a couple of plastic bags on our walks when my grandson was four years old and we would pick up litter that we would find along the way. He would beam when he got a "thank you" from the neighbors.

Drew and I will be mailing some cards this week to shut-ins as a follow through to Pam O'Halloran program, "The Forgotten Ones: International Card Exchange for the Elderly". I also think I will introduce this program to Drew's new teacher this fall to see if he/she would be interested in having the class write letters to shut-ins in nursing homes in the USA and overseas this year. It would be a great way to learn about volunteering, practice writing skills, learn a little geography and develop a lot of compassion!

Mai

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of sending the cards to the elderly and the invalid. My own mother was in a nursing home and I know how many of those patients NEVER had visitors. A card from anyone would make a huge difference. I'm going to share the link with Amara's Mom (who just happens to be president of the PTA -- maybe she can get something started!) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you like the idea! I am sure that Pam O'Halloran's program will be a hit in Amara's school.

      Delete