Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day Four and I'm Getting Better At This...

Day four of Day Camp! I woke up to a spectacular lightening and thunder show. After coffee, I rustled Drew out of bed. Unlike his mother, Drew is a breeze to wake up in the morning. I have only known one time that he woke up without a smile. His mother was the exact opposite! I used to tell her that payback will be coming her way when she becomes a mother...I guess that payback isn't coming her way yet.

I realized that his rain jacket is at his home so we borrowed Haba's rain poncho.

Drew: "What is that?"
Me: "A rain poncho!"
Drew: "Looks weird."
Me: "It's like a tent, don't you think? It'll keep you dry."
Silence from Drew but giving the poncho the stink eye.
Me: "Try it...you won't get drenched!"

It came down to his feet! He looked like a billowing, walking tent! I didn't laugh! Brownie point for me!

Out we went into the pouring rain to get to the minivan. Of course he's walking down our very narrow garden path towards the gate and the driveway very slowly because now it seems so very cool that he's staying completely dry in the pouring rain. I am behind him...no poncho.

Drew's Rain Poncho

We enjoyed the spectacular lightening show during the drive to the Day Camp bus pick up point. Counselor is standing in the rain holding on to his Day Runner, checking campers in while balancing an umbrella. Rather neat umbrella I might add. It had characters from the movie "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs" on it. When the umbrella gets wet (and trust me...it was wet) all these images of food magically appear. I think I want an umbrella that shows images of cats and dogs that appear when it gets wet.

Got home and crossed off a few more "things I must do because they need to be done but mostly I need to keep busy to adjust to not having Drew around all the time list". Tomatoes are canned, a few pints of bread and butter pickles are canned, two loads of laundry are done, water tested in the basement aquaponics system, emails checked and replied to, started (as in still not completed) filling out various forms for PCI DSS Compliancy (has it been a year already?), health insurance (has it been a year already?), license plate renewal (has it been a year already?) and filled out a questionnaire for "Federal Jury Duty" (never had to do this before).

I got a little sidetracked (is this the same as distracted?). There was a very interesting article about how dark chocolate may lower your blood pressure. In case you're interested, here's the article:  http://fox6now.com/2012/08/16/dark-chocolate-may-lower-blood-pressure/. The only disappointing part of this article was that they specify "eating a little dark chocolate each day may be good for you..." with the word "little" being the letdown. I also read that dark chocolate is believed to help ease depression by releasing serotonin.  Yes, I am a chocoholic.

I checked into another volunteer opportunity to start in September when Drew is back to school. I will have to start driving down to my daughter's and Drew's home to pick him up after school and care for him until his Mom's shift is over. So, I thought "why not find a volunteer opportunity that I can really learn something from?" I think I will volunteer at Growing Power in Milwaukee and perhaps I can learn how to take our little aquaponics system to the next level. It's on my way to his school too!

Of course I will continue with the our Meals on Wheels Wednesday delivery. I did meal deliveries yesterday sans camper Drew. He was sorely missed by the seniors on our route. I was inundated with inquiries about Drew's absence. The quieter ones would just peer behind me to see if he was hiding. I finished delivering in record time. Seems that conversations are a bit shorter when Drew is not around.

So, the days go by. Guess I can learn to get used to not having him around all the time after all. Hmmm, where did I put the rest of that dark chocolate bar.





1 comment:

  1. Ah chocolate! My good friend! There is always a bag of dark chocolates (preferably Dove Darks) in the kitchen drawer. 2 a day will keep me very content! Thing it is time right now!

    ReplyDelete