Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Good Grief! It's Hot!

A Real Summer!!

We are really having a true summer this year in our area. We have had more days in the 90 degree range with a few in the 100 degree range this year than I can remember! I  prefer hot weather over cold weather but I must admit that it can get difficult to find things for Drew to do outside that will not contribute to a heatstroke or something.The corn in the fields in our area are curling up and stunted. The grass is brown and crunchy. Drew goes to swim class on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and he really enjoys these classes. When he was in swim classes last year, he would finish his classes with blue lips since we had such a cool summer. What a difference a year can make!

My daughter had a day off for the first time in well over a week so Drew got to spend the day with his Mom while I took the opportunity to run some errands and pick up some groceries. Drew and his Mom took some books back to the local library and checked out a few more books to read. The library has a terrific summer reading program. We track the time that he reads on a reading log provided by the library. He can turn in his log at the table set up for this program in the library. He can "win" prizes and participate in crafts in air conditioned comfort...his Mom really appreciates this since she spends most of her time exposed to the heat when she is on the job.

They went to a local thrift store also where she bought him some tee shirts. Thrift stores are great places to buy play clothes for kids. I have learned that it is difficult to find jeans in Drew's size at the thrift store though. I have a theory on this shortage of jeans in his size. I think that boys in Drew's age group simply wear them out to the point that there is no life left in them. I think Drew is down to one pair of jeans that do not have holes in them. Now that I think about it though, my husband does not have a lot of jeans without holes in them either....maybe they never really grow up! They seem to wear these tattered jeans with pride though.  Jeans that are tattered and have holes are a statement that says they "work hard and play hard". 


I think this is going to be another sprinkler day...great way to cool off for Drew while getting a little water to the grass. Stay cool!







No comments:

Post a Comment