Monday, July 9, 2012

Lego Land!

My husband and I are very fortunate to have our grandson spend most of the summer with us and when school starts, I see him very often since I am his caregiver while his mother is working. While I get to have a lot of fun with him, I also need to make sure that homework is done, manners are in check, health and hygiene needs met and  proper nutrition presented. I also try my best to expose him to as many educational opportunities as possible. 


Of course, one of Drew's favorite store is Toys R Us which is the ultimate toy megastore for kids (and grownups!). He still needs to be steered towards age appropriate toys at times. His favorite toys at the moment are Legos. This is truly a time tested toy that meets some essential criteria when choosing toys for kids. This is a toy that teaches: 

  • Design and construction
  • Math and problem solving
  • Reading
  • Creativity
  • Dexterity and coordination
And as an added bonus, Legos generally induces some "quiet time" for parents and grandparents!


Legos come in a multitude of themed collection sets such as Ninjago, Star Wars and Dino. They also have sets of just bricks that vary in the number of pieces it comes with. I would recommend a base plate or two since these would allow children to expand their creations and easily save them to continue with their creations later. 


I have to say that I was surprised at how well Drew could follow the instruction manuals that are included with the themed sets. It was interesting to note that there were diagrams that he had no problems following. I, on the other hand,  needed some help understanding some of the diagrams. My husband is a great schematic reader and he has no problems with the instructions and diagrams. 


Legos has a vast website that not only allows you to browse all their products, play games, share creations and techniques, and shop. There is also a link to Legos in education as well as a link for parents that has some very insightful information on child development. Drew is signed up for the Legos Club which is free and comes with a free magazine. Kids really love getting mail!


There was even a Legos Kid Fest that in our area last month. Luckily, Drew's Mom was off that day and she took him to this event. I believe this is going to be at the top of his list for "most fun things to do" for the summer if not for the year! Check to see if your area is on the list of stops for the Legos Kids Fest! I wasn't able to go this year but I will certainly be going next year!




  

No comments:

Post a Comment