Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Start of My Career As A Grandparent

When I first learned I was going to be a grandmother, I felt...well...indifferent. For that matter, when friends and acquaintances would exclaim how they couldn't wait to be a grandparent, I would sit there thinking "Really? And the big deal is what?" So, when my daughter announced that I would be a Grandmother, I did the obligatory "Oh! Wonderful!!! Can't wait!" when in truth, I felt "Okay, and how excited should I be?"

Not that I resented being a grandmother...I just couldn't imagine myself as a grandmother. Maybe I had a little hangup about seeing myself as an old lady. You know, white hair, arthritis, sensible shoes and all. Or maybe I couldn't relate since I never really had grandparents in my life to relate too. My husband, on the other hand, would talk about being a grandfather constantly! He really was looking forward to adding grandfather to his title. Me? Shrug.

Funny things happen in life though. Early one morning (very early) I was present when my grandson, Drew, came into this world. POW! Being a grandmother was the best thing I could ever imagine! Just like that! Seriously! Instantly, this was one of those stupendously wonderful moments that mark our lives forever. You know, the life altering, this is what I was really put on earth for, now life is complete kind of moment.

I had images of feeding, changing, teaching, bathing, playing and talking to this little creature constantly. I had images of rocking this little baby to sleep.  I had images of building forts out of tables, chairs and blankets. I had images of chasing fireflies and catching them on warm summer nights. I had images of reading bedtime stories and drinking chocolate milk. I had images of...well...you get the picture. Infatuated. Absolutely infatuated.

So, here I am, seven years later and I have embraced being a grandmother and proudly have added this title to my list of titles. Still infatuated. So, the purpose of this blog? I wanted to share my experiences as a grandparent and hopefully will get others to share their grandparenting experiences with me. My problem is "where should I start?". Ahh, Lydia, just start! Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment