Saturday, June 30, 2012

It's Awfully Quiet Here Today...

A little excitement last night when a fox tried to pay our chicks a visit. I ruined the fox's chance of a chicken dinner by yelling and clapping my hands. This was such an exciting event for my grandson, Drew. So exciting, in fact, that bedtime was well past 11pm last night. I think he ran to the window at least seven times to check on a potential return by the fox. Not happening...

Drew went home with his Mom (our daughter) for the weekend today. How quiet it gets around here as soon as they are out the driveway. I relish the silence for approximately two minutes and then I am missing him already.

We are lucky to have him with us  so much. This is due to the fact that his Mom and Dad are divorced and my daughter is raising him as a single, working parent. She is a  police officer. Her work requires her to work various hours and sometimes her shift is very long not to mention stressful. My husband and I decided that our grandson should not have to spend the time his Mom is at work in a childcare facility. We are also lucky that we live close enough to do this.

I am sure that there are many other grandparents out there today that are more involved in the lives of their grandchildren due to hardships in the family that span a broad range of reasons. There was a time when grandparents played a very vital and important role at helping their children raise their children. Are we going back to this tradition?

No comments:

Post a Comment