Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

WooHoo! Here comes Thanksgiving! The air is cooler where we live and I am looking forward to this holiday more than I ever have before!

We will gather at my in-laws' home this year since my mother-in-law has Alzheimer's disease and holiday gatherings are a little less confusing for her when her surroundings are familiar. The in-laws' live about 75 miles from us so my sister-in-law and I prepare as much of the food as possible ahead of time.  I am always looking for recipes that hold up well even if they are prepared ahead of time and travel well.

This year, I tried a recipe for mashed potatoes that are prepared and cooked in a slow cooker. I know...the humble mashed potatoes. But this recipe for mashed potatoes (while sinfully rich) are absolutely heavenly!! I made a big batch and put some leftover mashed potatoes in smaller serving containers to put away in the freezer for future meals. I decided to share the recipe with anyone that might want to try a little different spin on this comfort food. So here it is:

Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes

5 lbs of potatoes (red or Yukon cut into chunks work well)
1 T minced garlic (optional)
3 cubes of chicken bouillon
8oz sour cream (reduced or fat free can be substituted)
8 oz cream cheese (reduced or fat free can be substituted)
1/2 cup butter
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the potatoes, garlic, and bouillon until potatoes are tender but firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving water. In a bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese, adding reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.

 Transfer the potato mixture to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on Low for 2 to 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. 8 servings

Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes

 I have used one of the portions that I had in the freezer last night and I have to say that it was just as delicious as ever!

Drew has been busy with Thanksgiving preparations too. This pie looks better than any apple pie I ever made and thanks to the "pie instructor", this pie will taste better than any apple pie I've ever tasted!! Pastry chef in the making!  His instructor is Geoff who was a pastry chef! Kudos to Geoff for being so patient! Drew very proudly showed me the wheat sheaf decoration on the pie crust.




Finishing Touch to the Apple Pie 
Happy Thanksgiving!

Mai

2 comments:

  1. The pie is beautiful and those potatoes do sound yummy! I will save the recipe to try another time -- potatoes, sour cream and cream cheese? How could it NOT be good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mashed potatoes are big in my house. I must try your recipe. I'm adding to my favorites. My 1 year old granddaughter will eat them until they come out her ears. I'm a proud mother and grandmother, and write about my journey at Mother 2 Mother. Hope you can stop by and join me.

    ReplyDelete