Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Food Rules

I like to try to read our local newspaper online as often as possible. Maybe I don't particularly enjoy reading the news for the same reason I don't like watching the news on TV...not enough good news. Sigh.

However, I went to the Milwaukee Journal online tonight and read a very interesting story from Mukwonago about some students that boycotted the school lunches to voice their objections to the new federal school lunch rules. In case you are interested, here's the link to the story.

I am aware that this is not the first time the federal government has set rules and guidelines for school lunch programs. Personally, I think that ketchup should never have been considered a serving of vegetable ( I believe this was the case quite a number of years ago). So some good can come from guidelines. But shouldn't common sense have told us that ketchup doesn't count as a serving of vegetables?

So, it seems that the school lunch program has to consist of healthier food choices, a lot less fat and "age aligned calorie intake". Wait a minute. Age aligned calorie intake? Seriously? For some reason, a scene from Oliver Twist flashed through my mind where Oliver Twist, with an empty bowl in his hands, asks for more food. Okay, it's not that drastic but my mind seems to work in mysterious ways sometimes.

Drew is not a large kid. However, there are kids his age that are larger than him. And I don't mean larger than him because of obesity...there are kids that are bigger than him! We all know how kids seem to grow in spurts (and sometimes sputters). Therefore, it's not uncommon to see a fourth grader that is bigger than a sixth grader. So how will this "alignment of calories" work for them? Drew's school also sent notices home that said every child taking a school lunch will need to take 1/2 cup of vegetables and 1/4 cup of fruit. The notice also said that the children are not required to eat the veggies and fruit but they must take them. I don't know if this is required in all schools but I can't help but wonder how much is going to the trash containers. Drew is pretty good about eating a variety of food but I know kids that flatly refuse to even have vegetables or fruits on their plate (yep! Some of them are relatives!).

I may seem naive about this. In the end, I think that the new guidelines are really well intended but I think that good nutrition really needs to start at home. Maybe more PE time would have been a better solution? I packed a lunch for Drew tonight. I hope it passes muster! ;-)

Mai



4 comments:

  1. You have certainly shown me a different perspective on the story. My original reaction was anything they can do to help with the obesity problem, but I do see your point as well. I do agree that PE is certainly a something that would help but gets very much overlooked. And diet & nutrition need to start at home, unfortunately it doesn't always! Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kc, you're right that diet and nutrition should start at home but doesn't always. I wish I could think of more ways to get grownups more interested in better nutrition (note: I said better...not perfect) ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh, you know what they say about good intentions. Seems a ridiculous waste the kids must take certain amounts of fruits and veggies but aren't required to eat them. So don't make them take 'em. And don't make sweeping generalizations on how much kids must (or must not) eat. Yes, attention to obesity must be made, but I'm not so sure this is the right way to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really behind you on your statement about not making sweeping generalizations on how much kids must eat or not eat. We all have different metabolisms!

      Delete